A pet bulldog in Boston was recently operated at the Angell Animal Medical Center where 19 baby pacifiers were found stuck in his stomach. The bulldog named as Mortimer used to snatch and gulp down pacifiers from his baby siblings who are just months old. Mortimer’s owner states that she never imagined that her pooch would be gulping down pacifiers since months.
Weakness & Starvation
It was in the month of April that the 3-year-old pooch used to feel sick and queasy as soon as the meal was served to him. He just couldn’t gulp the food down. Mortimer’s owner assumed that her pet dog may be suffering from acid reflux, reports People. However, the dog’s condition worsened as he had completely stopped eating anything the whole of June. He had gone totally weak.
The owner then rushed the pooch to the Angell Animal Medical Center which is a 24/7 veterinary hospital functioned by the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA) in Boston. The veterinarian first took an x-ray wherein the pacifiers were revealed.
Removal through Endoscopy
Dr Erika De Papp performed the treatment through which the 19 pacifiers were removed from Mortimer’s stomach. “The treatment performed was through endoscopy, which is a non-surgical procedure used to examine and oftentimes remove items from an animal’s digestive tract,” MSPCA reported to People.com.
“It’s likely that Mortimer started nabbing these pacifiers in April, perhaps one at a time, and that started a cycle of nausea and vomiting, which are symptoms that can be caused by so many other health issues,” he said. “If not for the urgency with which his family pursued veterinary care, things would have gotten much worse for him”, Dr Doug Brum, Mortimer’s primary veterinarian told People.com.
Mortimer has almost recovered from the situation and has begun to eat just like before. “He has almost fully recovered from the pacifier problem and is back to acting like his old self. I was shocked because even though I have two small children at home I’d never imagined he was eating their pacifiers,” Emily Shanahan, Mortimer’s owner, said in a statement. I would do anything for my dog. I’m happy that Mortimer’s issue was not a “chronic illness”, Emily Shanahan, Mortimer’s owner told People.com.
It is necessary that as pet parents, we keep an eye on our pooches and their eating or playing habits. Sometimes, negligence leads to consequences that one could never imagine. As reported by MSPCA to People.com, “Angell veterinarians have removed all kinds of objects from the bellies of pets, from guitar strings and wristwatches to safety pins, diamond rings, perfume bottles and more”.
Passionate about writing, Fiona is best known for her features and abstract writing. A sports lover, an avid shopaholic and a travel freak, Fiona expresses thoughts through words and considers herself totally opinionated, and rightfully so!